Thursday, March 5, 2015

Review: Glory O'Brien's History of the Future



Glory isn't sure of her future even though she's graduating from high school. Her mom killed herself when Glory was four and Glory still feels lost.

One night she and her BFF drink beer mixed with a special ingredient. The next day, Glory can see glimpses of the future when she looks at someone.

The future isn't impressive - in fact it's downright terrifying and depressing.
My Thoughts: I couldn't put this book down - it was terrifying, fascinating, and disturbing. It's a nightmare situation where women's rights no longer exist through a horrifying look at government. 

I loved learning more about Glory - her thoughts, her feelings, and how she tried to find herself in both the past and the future. I loved learning about photography - from the pictures she took and the pictures she found that her mother had taken.

I like how Glory tried to understand her mother and her final choice. I like how she took care of her father, but also how she ultimately took him outside his comfort zone. 

I like how friendship was portrayed - at times it was everything and at times there were nothing. I wasn't a huge fan of Ellie - I found her shallow and selfish. Although I did feel bad for her living in a cult and not having much freedom. I like how the friendship worked itself out.

This book would be perfect for a book discussion - so many things to talk about with feminism, suicide, friendship, judging people, and family. 

Cover Thoughts: It works
Source: My Library
Fun Fact: I read it as a Cybil judge

Overall Thoughts: A Smart book about the future, views on women, and how terrifying the future can seem when changing just a one law. This book kept me thinking long after I closed the pages.

No comments: