Monday, August 25, 2014

Review: Bridge From Me to You

Lauren's new to town, she just moved in with her aunt, uncle, and two cousins. Lauren's trying to put her past behind her and move on, but she can't move on if she can't find a place to call home.

Colby lives in the same small town, but has visions of escaping.  He doesn't want to be known for his football skills. In fact, he doesn't even want to play football in college.

Can the two of the figure out a way to belong?
My Thoughts: I really love the dual perspective of this book and how Lauren's voice is in verse while Colby is in prose. The combination works really well. I love the small town which has virtually no secrets, as gossip spreads like wildfire. Although I like how Colby and Lauren can confide in each other. The accident that rocked everyone's world made the future a harder place to find --with secret wishes and then guilt. The themes of friendship and family were woven in nicely to this book, but the important piece for both characters was finding yourself, letting others in, and living for the day and not for the future. Stop waiting and live the you want now. It's easier said than done, but good advice. A fabulous book of small town life and characters with big dreams. 

Cover Thoughts: I love the wrap-around cover - especially the football field and the bridge. I wish they had combined the two to make guys pick up the book too.


Source: My Library 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! It looks like one I'll have to check out. Your point about the cover is a great one, and one that I wish the publisher had thought a little bit harder on. It's hard to convince a teen boy that a book with only a girl on the cover is something he wants to read!